Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Business advice

     Free daily tips, information and advice for people in small business
     from my lifetime in business--been there, done that.

     I am often asked for advice. Emails arrive telling me about a problem and asking for possible solutions.

     My answers are quick, to the point, and free. Sometimes, just by reaching out to an experienced business person, the business owner can clarify his/her own thinking and proceed with a certain confidence not otherwise possible.

     Example: A lady once asked me how she could increase her sales in her small pet supply store. When I asked her what she was doing to promote her place, the answer came back: ads every week in the local paper. I suggested she set up a Facebook page, post pictures of pets, and start reaching out. "But I don't sell pets," she objected. "And I know nothing about Facebook." Later, she realized how easy it was to attract attention with pictures of puppies and kittens, and she emailed me back that sales had more than doubled--in a relatively short period of time. Hers had been a simple question, and it was solved with a simple answer. 

     Everyone has had the experience of talking about problems with others. The more personal the problem, the more reluctant we become in discussing it. We look for a trusted friend or expert.

     Owners of small businesses face this problem in seeking advice on business problems. You need to talk with someone who has "been there, done that" and can relate to the overall problems of running a business.  

     Example: A young man once asked what business he could go into. He wanted to go into business, but he was perplexed as to the type of business he should pursue. In a quick back-and-forth, I helped him realize that he already had the answer. "Look inside," I told him. "Find the thing you are most passionate about and set up your business around that idea." Today, he owns a small construction company--he builds additions to homes and occasionally whole houses. His passion of building things has become his business. 

     A business can be set up using any idea. Of course, some ideas are bigger than others. But the market is big enough in this country to accommodate any idea you might be passionate about. If you are interested in something, others are interested as well. It's a matter of finding them.

     The same is true of expanding your business. The marketplace rules. Expand in the direction the market is moving. And always seek advice from someone who has actually run a business.

     I've spent a lifetime in business--establishing, operating, expanding. I know what cash flow feels like when there isn't any. Email me your questions: AlWarr16@gmail.com and put BLOG in the subject line so I don't delete. At this point, I've helped thousands of business owners. Get free answers to your questions, and I always respect your privacy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment