Thursday, July 17, 2014

Corporate vs. small

     Free daily tips, information and advice for people in small business
     from personal experience in founding and operating small businesses of my own.

     Leaving corporate America and starting your own business is difficult. I know. I did it myself.

     If you do this, be careful. Corporate America and small business are totally different. In fact, they occupy different planets, speak different languages, define different futures.

     Example: For 10 years I headed the Business Owners Institute in New Jersey. We helped many people establish their first business, and we helped many more dealing with the everyday problems of growing, finding financing, getting referrals, and any other operating problem they brought to the table. 
     A lady once walked in the door looking for advice on buying a franchise. She had taken a buyout from a major corporation, so money was not the problem. She ran a single idea past me--she wanted advice on buying a donuts franchise. I posed two groups of questions:
     1. Who will make the donuts at 4 a.m. when your employees call in sick--or simply don't show up that morning? Do you know how to run the coffee machines? 
     2. What are your personal interests and passions? What have you spent your time doing when you were away from your corporate position in the past?
     When she thought through the implications of those two questions, she decided against buying the donuts franchise. She went on to establish her own marketing consulting firm, helping other small businesses do what they were ill-equipped to do for themselves. We had a good laugh much later talking about how donuts are made.

     Corporate America does not prepare you for establishing and operating a small business. In corporate America you have company resources to call on--in small business, it's you. In corporate America you can call on the company's information technology people--in small business, it's you. You depend on the company sales force, production people, human resources, and all the rest. In small business, it's you. 

     You might enjoy what you do in corporate America, but you have all the company's capabilities at your disposal. In small business, you can only look in the mirror.

     My lifetime of business experience is at your disposal. My personal experience in founding and building small businesses of my own, along with years of advising others, is contained in this free blog. I will answer your questions at no charge. Email me at AlWarr16@gmail.com and put BLOG in the subject line so I don't delete. I never share your email, and your privacy is always respected.   

No comments:

Post a Comment